Save the Bengal Tigers

by: Klara Geder

My name is Klara Geder, and this week I’m the blogger again! I’ve decided to do this blog on my favorite animal, the bengal tiger. They’re mainly my favorite animal because they’re my favorite animal to draw.

Bengal tigers are most commonly found in India living in mangrove habitats. They’re from the Panthera Tigris subspecies, and are Native to India. They’re about 3.6 feet tall at shoulder height, 7.9 to 10 feet long, and a male Bengal tiger weighs 490 pounds while a female tiger weighs 310 years. Their Lifespan range is about 8-10 years in the wild, but between 14 and 16 years in captivity. 

Bengal tigers are carnivores, and they have a very large variety of foods they eat, ranging from beetles, to elephant calves. Their favorite foods are typically 20kg, or bigger including pigs, cows, horses, Buffalo, moose, bears, moose, and deer species meaning they can devour up to 100 pounds in one sitting.

Besides being such beautiful animals, their numbers are dwindling due to poaching and habitat loss. Tigers are poached because of their threat to people, and for their fur. There are only about 3,900 tigers left in the wild.  These few left are in a crisis with a declining population. They might only be seen in zoos, because it’s estimated that as soon as 2030, tigers will be extinct in the wild.

Thank you for reading my blog about bengal tigers! If you want to donate to help save these creatures from extinction click here